The School Council at St Mary’s meets in full as and when needed, but at least every half term. Each Key Stage of our School Council will meet on a two weekly basis. Miss McTaggart and Mrs Marshall meet with the School Council to discuss important agendas for the next meeting. This agenda will reflect issues raised in class meetings and include:
- A focus on one of the schools’ curriculum drivers.
- Feedback from class meetings about the previous School Council meetings.
- Discussions and decisions around issues agreed in setting the agenda at the previous meeting.
- Organise any jobs that need doing as a result of these decisions.
- Setting the next meeting’s agenda.
- Any other business.
Intent – Created by the School Council Members
The aims of the school council are to:
- Our school council works together as a team to ensure we can be the best school possible by discussing ideas and making decisions.
- We aim to make pupils feel comfortable, happy and safe at school.
- We aim to listen to others and discuss comments and suggestions that would make our school an even more wonderful place.
- We shall work hard to make our world a better place.
Our intended impact of the School Council at St Mary’s is to increase self-confidence and learning outcomes for pupils. We aim to increase participation in school life and improve communication between pupils and teachers, allowing collaborative working between peers. It will improve discipline and behaviour, as well as improving the school ethos and environment. We aim to improve pupils’ cultural capital by developing and having an impact on the curriculum drivers in school.
School Council has explicit links to British Values. The democratic approach to electing pupils, allows them to understand the roles of a democratic society. It teaches pupils how they can influence decision-making through a democratic process. Further to this it allows children to develop respect and tolerance to others. It enables children to learn to disagree in a respectful way and develop their collaborative working with others. School council supports pupils to develop their self-esteem and self-confidence, by modelling freedom of speech and exploring topical issues in each school council meeting.
Our School Council Mission
Our School Council works together as a team to ensure we can be the best school possible by discussing ideas and making decisions.
We aim to make pupils feel comfortable, happy and safe at school.
We aim to listen to others and discuss comments and suggestions that would make our school an even more wonderful place.
We shall work hard to make our world a better place.